Reddit Karma is the ultimate score when it comes to evaluating the power of a user on Reddit. You’ve probably heard of it a lot, but understanding how Karma gets calculated is not easy at all.
In this article, we will do our best to explain like-i-am-five how Karma works to help you take advantage and rank your posts on Reddit a lot easier.
Plus, there will be a lot of tips and a detailed guide for getting karma on Reddit!
Reddit Karma 101
- Reddit Karma is a score that reflects a user’s contributions to the Reddit community. It’s calculated based on the upvotes received from posts and comments.
- There are two types of Karma: Post Karma and Comment Karma. The total Karma displayed on a user’s profile is the sum of these two.
- To get Reddit Karma, there are several strategies:
- Post cats, dogs, cute pictures.
- Post jokes and questions.
- Post on Sundays between 6 A.M. and 8 A.M. ET, when the platform has the most users online.
- Ask interesting questions in r/AskReddit.
- Comment on new or rising posts in targeted subreddits.
- Always respond to comments on your posts to keep the topic hot and engaging.
- Focus on large subreddits like r/hmmm, r/funny, r/AskReddit, etc.
- Post high-quality, interesting, and unique content.
- A post made from an aged account with high Karma can rank higher than a post with more upvotes but from a less-quality account.
- Get high-quality aged Reddit accounts with at least 1,000 Karma can give a significant advantage in ranking posts.
What is Reddit Karma?
Reddit Karma is the value of your account based on the posts and comments you make, respectively.
The amount of Karma a user is displayed right on their profile page, or when you hover your mouse on their username.
There are 2 types of Karma:
- Post Karma: Determined by the upvotes you earned from your posts on Reddit.
- Comment Karma: Determined by the upvotes you get from your comments on Reddit.
However, the only Total Karma is displayed on the user’s profile page, which is the combination of the two types!
Are Reddit Upvotes and Karma Different?
They are different. They are not the same thing.
Let’s break it down in a simple, easily digestible manner.
Firstly, Reddit upvotes are the equivalent of a “like” on other social media platforms. When you post content or a comment, other users can upvote it if they find it valuable or interesting. These upvotes are a direct measure of the community’s response to your contribution.
Karma, on the other hand, is a bit more complex. It’s a score that reflects your overall contribution to the Reddit community. This score is influenced by the upvotes you receive on your posts and comments. However, the key point to remember is that Karma isn’t a one-to-one reflection of your upvotes. Reddit uses its own algorithm to translate upvotes into Karma, which means the Karma you gain from a certain number of upvotes can vary.
For example, you might receive 100 upvotes on a post, but this doesn’t necessarily translate to 100 Karma points.
How to Farm Reddit Karma Fast and Easy
- One Account Per Browser Rule: It’s crucial to use only one Reddit account per browser to avoid getting banned. If you need to use multiple accounts, consider using anti-detect browser, such as AdsPower.
- Avoid Red Flags: If you’re doing activities that might attract unwanted attention, like breaking subreddit rules or irritating users, be mindful of your IP address. Reddit admins can track IPs, and you definitely don’t want to be on their radar. It’s a must to use 1 proxy per account. We recommend using GridPanel proxy.
- Limit Your Posts: Aim to not exceed 3 posts per hour to maintain a low profile. And do not post more than 5 posts every day.
- Strategies for Boosting Post and Comment Karma:
- Dogs, cats, cute pictures, and memes work wonderfully.
- Post celebrity photos in their respective subreddits. Choosing less mainstream celebs can be more effective due to fewer restrictions.
- Accompany each photo with a recognizable quote or comment to engage fans.
- Participate in subreddits dedicated to random thoughts or shower musings. These platforms are great for easy, engaging content.
- Be Patient with New Profiles: New profiles have limitations. For the first two days, focus on contextual posts rather than picture posts. Subreddits with one-liner jokes or thoughts are ideal for this.
- You can also get some Blank Reddit Accounts to speedup your progression.
To give you a head start, here are some subreddits where I’ve successfully farmed karma:
For photo posts:
For text posts:
Proven Tips to Get Reddit Karma Faster
However, not like everyone might think, Reddit Karma doesn’t exactly equal to the amount of upvotes other users send towards your posts and comments.
For example, if you submit a post, and it gets 100 upvotes, you don’t always get 100 Karma. Or if you make a great comment, a lot of people like it, and you get 300 upvotes, it doesn’t have to be 300 Karma.
The number of Upvote Reddit you get does not always give the same amount of Karma.
This doesn’t mean that you got some upvotes from flagged/shadowbanned accounts. It’s because Reddit has their own way, algorithm, to calculate the Karma.
It takes plenty of factors when calculating the Karma, some of them are:
- The age of your account (poster). New accounts tend to receive a lot less karma comparing to the total of upvotes they got.
- The account overall quality: If your account gets many posts that get marked as spam, or the upvote/downvote ratio is usually low, the upvotes you receive also don’t usually convert well into karma.
1. Post on Sunday, between 6 A.M. and 8 A.M. ET
According to our researches, you can get a lot more reaches If you post during 6 A.M to 8 A.M on Sunday (Eastern Time). If you are from the US, this could be quite weird for you, but Reddit has a ton of users coming from different countries, and this is the best time for them all.
Use this tool to convert ET to your local time if you are not from the US: http://www.timebie.com/std/est.php
2. Asking interesting questions in r/AskReddit
You can also ask questions to specialists for advice, like asking doctors what are the weirdest things they have ever faced, or asking people about the most important things you should have in your bedroom, etc.
Ask funny stuff to bring people joy.
If you have an interesting question, it’s most likely that you will gain a ton of upvotes and comments. Also, don’t hesitate to answer people comments to get more upvotes as well.
Gain more karma by replying in the newest questions as well! If you have a funny responds, you can get up to thousands of karma.
3. Post in r/FreeKarma4U
There is a special place called r/FreeKarma4U (NSFW) where you can submit anything you want and people will upvote them without any reasons, automatically and immediately. That’s the point of this subreddit.
If you want to help out people, you can upvote their posts as well. And don’t forget to comment in their submissions to earn some extra comment karma.
4. Comment on New/Rising Posts
This is another easy way to get Reddit karma.
You maybe always give the best comments and posts, but they could get buried under a ton of other submissions. Especially in the biggest subreddits, it’s very hard for people to see all of the new posts.
If you are only hunting for karma, it’s also great to stick with the newest or rising posts in your targeted subreddits.
If you can determine which posts are going to gain a ton of karma, take the advantage, make a great comment, and earn a ton of comment karma.
One trick we usually do is to make some nice comments on r/AskReddit, and buy upvote comments from our Panel, your comments will get skyrocketed to the top in no time.
5. Keep the Topic hot by always responding to people
Whenever someone comments on your post, regardless of the content, just give them a reply, even if you just have to say thanks. This makes people like you a lot more, and surely increases the chance of you getting more upvotes in the future. It also shows people that you are always open to any type of comments in your posts.
This is always one of my favorite ways to slowly farm karma. Free comment karma for you, for sure.
6. Focus on large subreddits
Since getting some nice converts via niche subreddits is very easy, it’s always tempting for new people to focus on small subs. It’s always the best strategy when it comes to getting conversion, but if you are getting karma, don’t ignore the huge subreddits such as r/hmmm, r/funny, r/AskReddit, etc.
You still can focus on small niche subreddits at the same time if you want to focus on them later. Getting well-known by the targeted communities is always a great idea.
Read more: How to find the best subreddits
7. Post Great Content
Finally, posting great content is always an all-time-working strategy. Post the content your communities love to see, make sure they are interesting, attractive, and unique. You will eventually get all of the karma you want.
Other Tips for Farming Karma:
- Enhance your title, make them catchy to get people attention. Maybe give them some mysterious.
- Make sure your pictures, photos, videos, GIFs, etc. have the highest possible quality, making your post more appealing. No one likes 300×300 px meme.
- Aim for emotional feelings when posting content. And don’t hesitate to show your own opinion in your comments, it might get some initial downvotes, but people will understand you more eventually.
Taking Advantage of Karma in Reddit Marketing
Let’s make it easier to understand by having an example.
Say you make a post on Reddit using a brand-new Reddit account, and then you purchase 100 upvotes from our Reddit panel, you will probably see some of these scenarios:
- Your account don’t receive full 100 karma. Maybe only 20-50% of the upvotes.
- Your post (with 100 upvotes) doesn’t rank higher than a post with 50 upvotes (created by an aged Reddit account).
This means, while the quality of the upvotes is important, the age/quality of your account is also the key.
It’s fine to use a brand-new account to promote your content on Reddit and slowly warm it up, but if you want to rank fast and get the results immediately, it’s best to buy high-quality aged Reddit accounts from us.
The more karma your account has, the easier your post rank.
By simply purchasing an aged account from us, with at least 1,000 karma, even if your post has only 100 upvotes, you can easily outrank other posts with 150-200 upvotes, being posted by less-quality account.
This gives you a step ahead of everyone, especially if you are new to the Reddit game and want to make some revenue immediately.
We believe that you’ve found some of the most useful tricks when it comes to Reddit Marketing from this article.
This is an unshared trick that we have been using for years now. We do not only sell the upvotes, we also sell the results.
Karma isn’t the best thing when it comes to marketing on Reddit, but it definitely helps a lot: From building your trust, to making you able to post in high-karma-requirement subreddits.
When people see you have a lot of karma, they will have a lot of trust in you and the content you are posting. Also, there are a lot of the best subreddits our there requiring you to have a minimum amount of karma to post the content.
Once you get more familiar, farming Reddit karma isn’t a nightmare at all. Actually, it is quite interesting.
Happy using Upvote.Shop!